Thursday, October 2, 2014

I yelled today...

I was in the kitchen making my kids lunch today. Ham and cheese. Annie's graham crackers. Milk. I realized when I finished that it was quiet. TOO quiet.

I went on a search and found them both in Hudson's closet where they had emptied every toy bin, clothing bin, and every single box of books. I then realized they had done the same in the family room and E's room. HOW did they manage to do that in 10 minutes when I had left them quietly playing together?

So I yelled. I yelled at them for making a mess, I yelled at them to clean it up. I yelled at them that I couldn't believe they would do this when they knew better. Hudson laughed and I yelled at him to stop laughing.

My house was a mess and looked horrible. I yelled at my kids today for messing it up. I didn't eat my lunch and I cried in a room by myself. I needed Jesus and His wisdom. I needed His grace.

So yes, this day was a royal failure in all kinds of ways. And here I am confessing to the whole world. Transparency is needed though. I want to be a non-yelling mom! No excuses! 

I realized after my yelling spree that they were both quietly looking at me. E is too young to fully grasp it yet, but Hudson looked wounded. Did I call them names? No. Did I scream? No. Will they be scarred? I sure hope not because it IS rare for me to yell. But, was *I* wrong? You betcha, and I asked them to forgive me. I am so thankful for children who show such grace to their mama and love me still. :-) I want them to feel safe and know I will love them through anything. That I will be there for them when they mess up. 

Does it make me the worst mother ever because I yelled? No. But is that the kind of mom I want to be or the kind of mom that my kids know me as? Never! Time for a change :-)

The house is still now during their quiet time and as I sit here sipping my homemade pumpkin spice latte (with Wildtree pumpkin spice blend), I am able to clear the cobwebs away, pray, and share my heart with my readers and friends. 

As Anne Shirley says, "Tomorrow IS a new day, with NO mistakes in it". And as Jesus says, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 

Don't mess up your days with anger and harsh discipline. Love them. What memories do you want to have 20 years from now? Just think on it :-) 



4 comments:

Chris Walsh said...

i like this post, we visit again for more updates , thanks for sharing this article.
cheap artificial grass

hitaakademi said...

Ankara'nin en iyi kurye sirketi olan
kurye ankara hizmette
sinir tanimiyor...

hitaakademi said...


Ankara'nın en iyi broşür dağıtım şirketi olan
ankara broşür dağıtım hizmette
sinir tanimiyor...

thiết kế nhà xưởng said...

Nice blog !!!
thanks for sharing
xây dựng nhà xưởng
Công ty xây nhà xưởng uy tín
Nhà tiền chế đẹp


About Me

My photo
My name is Stephanie and I grew up in Florida. I have been drawing since I could hold a crayon. Even though I never had any formal training, I am well known for my vibrant style. I enjoy painting murals, drawing wall art, colorful stationary & invitations, and many other artistic projects. I am currently working on writing and illustrating my first book.

Followers