Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Faith Like Potatoes...


Michael and I watched this movie this past Saturday as we were celebrating his birthday. I was just gearing up to watch the typical *trite feel good* Christian film that seems to infiltrate our society today. But I was very surprised by the message of this film (beside the fact that I personally thought it was well acted and well made, though a little slow paced at times).

Here is a brief synopsis from imdb:
Angus Buchan, a Zambian farmer of Scottish heritage, leaves his farm in the midst of political unrest and racially charged land reclaims and travels south with his family to start a better life in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. With nothing more than a caravan on a patch of land, and help from his foreman, Simeon Bhengu, the Buchan family struggle to settle in a new country. Faced with ever mounting challenges, hardships and personal turmoil, Angus quickly spirals down into a life consumed by anger, fear and destruction. Based on the inspiring true story by Angus Buchan the book was adapted for the big screen by Regardt van den Bergh and weaves together the moving life journey of a man who, like his potatoes, grows his faith, unseen until the harvest.

There is a moment in the movie, after Angus has come to Christ, where he is burning some brush on his land. The fire spirals out of control and starts heading towards his crops. He looks at Simeon (his right hand man) and says "we must pray for rain" Simeon responds "it will not rain" and Angus repeats "we must pray for rain". Simeon again says that it will not rain because it is not the rain season. Moments later, it starts pouring and puts out the fire. That is faith.

What is faith?
Faith is the confident belief in something unseen.
I believe in Jesus, even though I can't see Him.
I believe He can heal.
I believe He can provide for my every need.


How do I know this? Because He has done both of these in my life. Many fires have come into my life lately, but God has brought cooling rain and put them out every single time. I sat there watching this and realized how little my faith really is and how He is helping it to grow constantly. God has shown His power over and over since we were married. Every month when the bills need to be paid and groceries need to be bought, I worry... and then I remember His goodness and His mercy.

I want faith like Angus. I want faith like George Mueller. I want faith like Hudson Taylor.

No comments:


About Me

My photo
My name is Stephanie and I grew up in Florida. I have been drawing since I could hold a crayon. Even though I never had any formal training, I am well known for my vibrant style. I enjoy painting murals, drawing wall art, colorful stationary & invitations, and many other artistic projects. I am currently working on writing and illustrating my first book.

Followers