Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Preservation of Life...


When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.” Isaiah 43:2

As most of you know, we walked through a certain fire in mid March when Hudson became very sick. It was the scariest moment of my life when, while nursing him, he choked on his congestion and stopped breathing. Michael had left for work only five minutes previously, so I was all alone. For a brief second I just did not know what to do and just stared at his ashy grey-blue and limp body and all I could do was scream “Jesus: help!” It was then that God said to me “Call 911: Now.” I did just that, and the lady told me to lay him on the floor or a table so I put him on Michael’s desk and she walked me through Infant CPR. I had done First Aid stuff in EXCEL but it was almost 10 years ago. He was steadily breathing again when the ambulance arrived.

We arrived at the hospital about 15 min. later. They struggled to get an IV in him because he was so dehydrated. They put it in one hand and the vein collapsed. They finally got it in the other hand, and the nurse tripped on the IV cord and ripped it out of his hand! That was very scary! The IV team had to come in and put it in his arm and thankfully that worked so they didn’t have to put it in his head. We finally got into our room around 2:00 am. Michael left to go back to the apartment about 2:45 and at 3:00 they decided to deep suction him because he had such bad congestion. I was sitting on the chair/bed and all of a sudden I heard the one nurse tell the other nurse to push the code button. A bunch of doctors and nurses rushed in and got him breathing again. God is so amazing… right as this was going on the chaplain walked in to see how I was doing. What timing!

His visit last a total of 10 ½ days after more coughing and blue episodes. He finally was released after being able to do good without the oxygen! It was so nice to finally leave the hospital. One nice perk is that because I was breastfeeding, I got all my meals free.

Thank you everyone who prayed, sent gifts, called and prayed with us, came and visited in the hospital, came over after we got out of the hospital and helped me around the house or just held Hudson so I could catch up on some needed sleep, and brought meals. Between our church and the church Michael works at, we had dinner every night for a month! That is so amazing! We also were very happy that my in law's came down. It was sad that the first time they got to meet their first grandchild was when he had oxygen tube in his nose and wires all over the place. But we loved seeing them!

I honestly do not know how people get through trials and tribulations without Jesus Christ in their lives. Without Him, I know that I wouldn’t have had the clarity of mind to call 911 or even the ability to perform CPR on my own child. I look at Hudson every single day and as I kiss his chubby cheeks or watch his beautiful smile, I thank God for preserving his life. I know this child, like the man he was named after, has a great purpose in his life and I know that God will direct Michael and I in every step as we raise him. I pray that Hudson will learn to love God with all his heart, soul, mind and strength and that he will serve Him all the days of his life!

Praise reports:
*We have been getting random gifts from people in the mail and that has been used for bills and food. We appreciate it so much. We are overwhelmed by God’s goodness to us!
*We are feeling much better, in regard to the whooping cough!
*Hudson is doing well and is 11 lbs 1 ounce as of this past Monday. That is a four pound gain since the hospital. :-) He is also 25 inches long. I think this is going to be one tall skinny kiddo. :-)

Prayer Requests:
*Hudson and I both have Thrush. I am unable to nurse him at this point because the pain is unbearable for me, so I am pumping and using a bottle. I really want to nurse and refuse to give up easily. Thankfully my milk supply has only increased from pumping. I am on an anti-fungal med (as is Hudson), as well as an antibiotic for a bacterial infection.
*That it would work out for us to get away for a couple of days in June for our first anniversary. I think we just need a break!

No comments:


About Me

My photo
My name is Stephanie and I grew up in Florida. I have been drawing since I could hold a crayon. Even though I never had any formal training, I am well known for my vibrant style. I enjoy painting murals, drawing wall art, colorful stationary & invitations, and many other artistic projects. I am currently working on writing and illustrating my first book.

Followers